Friday, April 30, 2010

A Love Fiction

A small driftwood mobile dances slowly in the window, just visible past the brown paisley print cloth curtains. A hint of sandalwood incense floats in the breeze. Ferns and philodendrons crowd together under the sill in a damp clay bed of earth. Faded colors no longer shimmer on the sea shells, which lay tucked tightly together along a small uneven brick path intersecting a sparse overgrown lawn of weeds and grass.  

A woman's voice is audible- Why don't you put on that record I like. A man's voice replies- Which record you like?-


-You know the record. The one in your collection I really like. Trumpets and strings with the sweet vocals.  

- Trumpet and strings?-

-Yes. It's got that Spanish flavor and puts me in a good mood.-

-Miles' Sketches of Spain?-

 -Vocals and songs with trumpets, not trumpet, dork! God, you can be so dense.-

 The soft guitar opens in that flamenco classical half step up and half step down that seeps through into the air. "Yeah, said it's all right, I won't forget all the times I've waited patiently for you." The strings build in the background as the Herb Alpert styled brass bravado sweeps into the break. Spanish tile and arch doorways peer onto the busy streets with voices harmonizing "I think people are the greatest fun."

The woman's voice -Do you want any of this?-

A waft of smoke escapes around the bobbing fish-lined driftwood and into the atmosphere. "At my house I've got no shackles. You can come and look if you want to."

-Are you about done in there?-


-Yeesss.  Did you shower this morning?-


"Thrum-pum-pum-pum. And I'm wrapped in my armor but my things are material"

-Yes, but seeing you like that makes me dirty all over again.-

"Then you feel your heart beating thrum-pum-pum-pum."


You are so baaad! You're tickling me. Who is this?

"They're locking them up today. They're throwing away the key. I wonder who it will be tomorrow? You or me?"


-Love. Forever Changes.-


"Served My Time. Served it well." 

-Really? Love? I thought they were a punk band.- 


-No, just Arthur Lee and some friends for awhile in LA. Long ago.-


Trumpets pop, and the vocal rings "This is the the time and life that I am living and I'll face each day with a smile. For the time that I've been given is such a little while."


-That's nice.-


Fade out.

No comments: