Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Celebrate Reform and Get None


I still keep an eye out for the mail these days. The summaries from Medicare and my dad's other insurance carrier have slowed down to a crawl these past few weeks. The "estate" might be in the clear. Estate is such a grand term to describe a few thousand dollars. I love the word. It so elevates my every day reality.

As the mail carrier drops another small load of paper products into the box, I scurry out with dog in hand to check the day's haul. Mmmm, a notice from CitiGroup, but not the monthly statement and bill.

"What insurance are they selling us now, Darby-doo?"

My-my, this is not an insurance offer, but a complete change of terms on the existing credit card agreement. Oh my, it looks like 24% as the new annual rate. Hmmm, that works out to an interest rate increase of more than two and half times the interest terms I currently pay CitiGroup. So much for the value of a credit rating of over 800, and being a valued customer for many years.

Wait.........

I can have a special rate locked in as a valued long time cardholder with stellar credit. Oh yes! Sounds good to me.

Wait......

I need to transfer at least $3,000 in current card debt from some other card company to my Citi card to qualify for this fabulous offer that actually raises my interest rate a full point more than my current agreement. Hmmm. That does not sound so good, Darbs.

My only option with this company is apparently to opt out, which reduces my already pretty lean credit lines. Is this what our fabulous legislators had in mind when they put a band aid on another one of America's crooked industries and called it reform? What was all that hoopla over back in May of 2009 when all the media announced the big Credit card reform act?

It simply should be against the law to be allowed to charge outrageously high interest rates on credit cards, or for the privilege of cashing a check in this country. When did we actually legalize loan sharking in America?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that this wonderfully promoted credit card reform bill reformed nothing. As we watched our millionaire Senators take apart the Health Care Reform House Bill that offered Americans some hope with a potential public option, it is clear the plutocracy of wealthy elites in the Senate feel the American voters are so inept and splintered at this juncture in time no fallout will occur over another failed act to solve any problem for working people and the unemployed stuck in this third world nation.

Can't wait to experience health care reform now.

No comments: